Navigating Cannabis in Clinical Practice
This 6-module, in-depth certificate level education program explores the endocannabinoid system, reviews legislation in Canada including the authorization process for medical cannabis. The program also examines all evidence supporting cannabis use, the precautions clinicians should consider before initiating therapy, and recommendations for monitoring cannabis use. The final module introduces medical and recreational patient cases offering participants the opportunity to apply their learning to practice.
CannaConnect offers a range of educational resources and tools to expand one’s medical cannabis knowledge. CannaConnect and MDBriefCase have collaborated to provide a unique learning experience for those looking to enhance their medical cannabis education and take control of their health and well-being.
For CannaConnect members, a discounted rate is offered for the “Navigating Cannabis in Clinical Practice” course. Please use the following code to receive 20% off the cost of the program:
Program price with discount code applied:
$649 $519.20 + HST
How to use the promo code:
- On the details page, click Purchase Course to add the program to your shopping cart.
- In your shopping cart, enter the code and click Add Code to see the discount applied.
- Continue with the checkout to gain access to the program.
This continuing education lesson is designed primarily for pharmacists and has been accredited by the Canadian Council on Continuing Education in Pharmacy (CCCEP) for 9 CEUs.
CCCEP File Number: 1066-2020-2981-I-P
This learning opportunity is open to all patients and health care providers including physicians, pharmacists and nurses looking to expand their medical cannabis knowledge.
Carlene Oleksyn, BSc (Pharm), CDE
Claude Cyr, MD
Michael Boivin, B. Pharm., CDE, CTE, CTH
Michael Kani, BSc, MSc, BSPhm, RPh, PharmD
With special appreciation to Mary-Ann Fitzcharles, MD, FRCPC, and the Canadian Rheumatology Association.
Module 1 – Cannabis and the Endocannabinoid System
- Review the different Canadian legislation associated with cannabis and cannabinoids
- Describe components of the endocannabinoid system
- Examine the key pharmacology of cannabis
- Review the current prescription cannabinoids in Canada and other regions of the world
Module 2 – Cannabinoid Evidence
- Review the evidence supporting the prescription cannabinoids nabilone and nabiximols
- Discuss the key systematic reviews and guidelines regarding cannabinoid evidence
- Describe the cannabis position statements from a number of key associations and regulatory bodies
Module 3 – Precautions of Cannabis Use
- Determine the patients where cannabis is contraindicated and not recommended
- Counsel patients on the cannabis adverse effects
- Assess a patient for potential cannabis-related drug interactions
- Review the impact of cannabis on driving
- Manage a patient experiencing acute cannabis toxicity
Module 4 – Acquiring Cannabis in Canada
- Examine the key components of the Cannabis Act for medical and recreational cannabis
- Review the different groups responsible for the distribution of cannabis
- Review the key principles of treating patients with medical cannabis
- Discuss the distribution and authorization of medical cannabis in Canada
Module 5 – Initiation, Monitoring and Addressing Potential Issues
- Determine goals of therapy and the initiation of cannabis therapy
- Review key factors when monitoring a patient on medical cannabis
- Examine the documentation recommendations for people taking cannabis
- Manage issues that may occur with patients taking cannabis
Module 6 – Translating Cannabis Knowledge into Practice
- Assess the potential benefits and risks of using medical cannabis in a diverse patient population
- Counsel a patient using cannabis for recreational purposes
- Evaluate factors that could affect the utilization of cannabis in specific patient populations
- Apply cannabis knowledge from this program to different patients seen in practice