Varicella Zoster: Protection at all ages – Mainpro+
This program supports Canadian healthcare practitioners in building their up-to-date knowledge of the Varicella Zoster Virus (VZV) and the use of vaccines available to prevent Varicella and Herpes Zoster infections.
The available vaccines for Varicella and Herpes Zoster in Canada are evolving, and the landscape for immunization has changed in many ways, with improved vaccine efficacy, but also changes for vaccine options and patient selection, safety considerations, vaccine storage and administration, and vaccine schedules.
The safety, efficacy, and immunization schedules for these vaccines will be illustrated through case-based learning, to increase comfort and confidence in knowledgeably using and recommending vaccinations.
This Self-Learning program has been certified by the College of Family Physicians of Canada for up to 1 Mainpro+ credits.
- Allison McGeer, MSc, MD, FRCPC
- Dominique Tessier, MD, CCFP, FCFP
- Mattias Berg, MD, CCFP - EM
- Vivien Brown, MDCM, CCFP, FCFP, NCMP
Upon completion of this continuing education program participants will be better able to:
- Recall the current epidemiology of varicella and herpes zoster infection in Canada and review the need for vaccination.
- Review the evidence regarding optimal dosing and efficacy of varicella and herpes zoster vaccines for optimal disease prevention.
- Counsel patients and caregivers regarding when and for whom varicella and herpes zoster vaccination is indicated.